From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: heroxbd@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] New Developer: Andrew Savchenko (bircoph)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 15:45:51
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:51:32 +0900 heroxbd@g.o wrote:
4 [...]
5 > > I'm an IT engineer in the Unix technologies department of our
6 > > university working mostly on HPC solutions, though I'm also
7 > > involved in VoIP and infrastructure security issues. We're using
8 > > Gentoo in production widely ;)
9 > >
10 > > Also I'm a researcher at the same university working in High Energy
11 > > Physics field and I'm working on my PhD in HEP now.
12 >
13 > That will make you a heavy sci-physics/root user, I suppose;)
14
15 Yes, root and pythia are my main research tools. Geant is used too,
16 but to a much less degree.
17
18 > > In Gentoo I'd like to participate in science, voip, cluster teams
19 > > and maintain some random packages of interest.
20 > >
21 > > Other than technical stuff my interests encompass classical music
22 > > (both Western and Eastern), literature (sci-fi, historical novels
23 > > and epic fantasy), anime and cycling.
24 > >
25 > > I have contributed to quite a lot of free software projects, though
26 > > most contributions are in form of patches, high quality bug
27 > > reports, translations and small improvements here and there.
28 > >
29 > > Notable project I contributed to:
30 > > MPlayer, Midnight Commander (was a developer for these two), Linux
31 > > kernel, OrangeFS, Wesnoth, sdcv, openl2tp and of course Gentoo (a
32 > > lot of patches in bugzilla, proxy-maintainer for various packages).
33 > >
34 > > ATM I'm one of clsync developers (it's an lsyncd replacement written
35 > > in pure C with enhanced functionality and extensibility; probably
36 > > should add this project to the tree) and symlookup dev (its a tool
37 > > for undefined symbols handling, though intersect with scanelf for
38 > > some tasks).
39 > >
40 > > Also I maintain an official Russian Debian mirror located at our
41 > > university. (We have Gentoo mirror too (that's why this host was
42 > > set up in the first place), but additional mirrors aren't accepted
43 > > now.)
45 >
46 > Very admirable experience. I am looking forward to cooperating with you
47 > more in the science herd.
48
49 Yeah, I have a lot of bugs to fix and stuff to do now :)
50
51 Best regards,
52 Andrew Savchenko