From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 06:36:20
1 On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:51:45AM -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Ultimately this comes down to a discussion about whether potential
3 > conflicts are allowed or not.
4 ...
5 > If you believe the above premise, even if we take William's patch, its
6 > clear we cannot eliminate conflicts of interest among Gentoo Leadership
7 > (e.g. the above example is a conflict; but it isn't resolved by William's
8 > patch.)
9 Your argument does make a potential point that even this patch won't
10 eliminate the conflicts of interest. These also exist between comrel/QA
11 another team: Infra.
12
13 As a data point, since I've been leading Infra (and the team is overdue
14 for another lead election), I've asked that new Infra members NOT act in
15 cases of potential conflict of interest: but instead choose a path that
16 discloses the conflict and recurses themselves temporarily.
17
18 Infra has members that are the comrel or QA teams, and I've made it
19 clear internally that if they take a side on a contentious issue from
20 those teams AND the issue requires infra to action something, the infra
21 member in question should NOT action it themselves except in an
22 emergency.
23
24 Instead, the team member should file a bug to it for the rest of infra
25 (if there isn't a bug already), and ask somebody else that's NOT on a
26 conflicting team to action the bug instead. The paper trail here in the
27 bug is valuable to help dispel any concerns of conflict of interest,
28 real or perceived.
29
30 This isn't codified anywhere as a 'rule' that infra members HAVE to
31 agree to, but I believe following it improves the professional behavior
32 within the Infra team.
35 Robin Hugh Johnson
36 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
37 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
38 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
39 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136