From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 05:51:48
1 On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:02 AM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2
3 > On 13/02/18 04:58, Dean Stephens wrote:
4 > > On 02/12/18 11:55, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > >> Hi Daniel,
6 > >>
7 > >> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 08:53:24AM -0700, Daniel Robbins wrote:
8 > >>> How about if they just abstain from any votes where there may be a
9 > conflict
10 > >>> of interest? I would hate to limit the ability of people to contribute
11 > >>> technically just because they were elected to council.
12 > >> The confusing thing about this is, how would we define "conflict of
13 > >> interest"?
14 > >>
15 > >> Suppose that the council decides to accept an appeal from comrel. Is it
16 > >> a conflict of interest for a member of the council who is also a member
17 > >> of comrel to vote in the appeal? If it isn't, it is at least a pretty
18 > >> strong perception that it is.
19 > >>
20 > > Why? How? Exactly what sort of conflicting interest is supposed to be
21 > > present?
22 > >
23 > There seems to be two divergent schools of thinking here:
24 > 1) Those that think that there is, or could be, (potential for) a
25 > conflict of interest,
26 > and 2) Those that cannot conceive there even could be a conflict of
27 > interest.
30 I'm not aware of anyone advocating for case two (not even Rich! :))
34 > I think it would be useful for both sides to state their cases, and
35 > perhaps this particular issue could have its bike-shed painted once, and
36 > for good.....
39 Ultimately this comes down to a discussion about whether potential
40 conflicts are allowed or not.
41
42 In some fields (law, or finance for example) there are rules against having
43 even potential conflicts. Should Gentoo emulate those rules and produce an
44 organization that avoids even the appearance of conflict? In other fields,
45 potential conflicts are allowed. There tend to be policies about disclosing
46 conflicts (disclosure is typically encouraged here.) Organizations can use
47 the disclosures to put in appropriate controls. To use an example:
48
49 A council member is on a team (not even necessarily QA / Comrel). That
50 team's lead makes a decision. The council member doesn't agree with the
51 decision and appeals to council.
52 I would argue the member raising the issue has a conflict and they should
53 not vote (recuse / abstain).
54
55 If you believe the above premise, even if we take William's patch, its
56 clear we cannot eliminate conflicts of interest among Gentoo Leadership
57 (e.g. the above example is a conflict; but it isn't resolved by William's
58 patch.)
59
60 I'm also not clear on the problem statement. William's opener was: "I have
61 felt this way for a long time, because I think it compromises the full
62 council's
63 ability to vote fairly on appeals." So it seems that the problem statement
64 is about appeals being fair (or appearing fair, or feeling fair?) Maybe we
65 could discuss Appeals specifically; and how they appear or make people
66 feel. I'm not sure I have a better idea of 'fairness' than just soliciting
67 feedback.
68
69 -A