From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2016 / 2017 election
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 16:20:11
1 Ühel kenal päeval, T, 14.06.2016 kell 21:50, kirjutas Michał Górny:
2 > In addition to the developers nominated already, I'd like to
3 > nominate:
4 > - leio,
5
6 While I believe that the council and its elected members should be
7 proactive and initiate forward movement for the distribution with ideas
8 and pushing them through, this doesn't seem to be the case in practice,
9 sadly.
10 As I am not yet fully sure how much time and motivation I will have for
11 the coming year (having only recently become more active again too; and
12 not yet even in package maintenance, which doesn't seem to be my cup of
13 tea anymore), I will have to choose to try to push these things without
14 wielding any council hats (or without trying to acquire one) and not
15 commit to the periodical voting of other matters, even though I believe
16 I would make sound decisions and voting for the betterment of the
17 distribution.
18
19 Then I can concentrate more fully on those initiative things, which I
20 believe is a make or break for my continued usage and promotion of the
21 distribution, as I have serious issues with the stagnation we have
22 going on, which I want to try to fix in the coming ~12 months or give
23 up altogether.
24
25 I believe council members ought to be working on such things as well,
26 not just show up once a month for a meeting, hopefully having prepared
27 on the topics at hand. Though this leadership role doesn't seem to be
28 in the task list for the council, strictly speaking (in terms of what
29 would get one lifted from their duties, at least).
30 Having looked at the open and recently closed council involved bugs, I
31 don't even see follow-ups happening properly for supposedly decided
32 matters, not to mention low initiative count besides PMS stuff and
33 similar, which is rather concerning and sadly shows some old council
34 members in a slightly bad light, in my opinion. But we shall all
35 reflect that appropriately in our upcoming anonymous voting, hopefully
36 in an educated manner based on past actions, future promises in
37 manifestos, and so on.
40 tl;dr: I decline the nomination at this time.
43 Mart