From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2016 / 2017 election
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 20:26:19
1 On 06/18/2016 09:19 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > Ühel kenal päeval, T, 14.06.2016 kell 21:50, kirjutas Michał Górny:
3 >> In addition to the developers nominated already, I'd like to
4 >> nominate:
5 >> - leio,
6 >
7 > While I believe that the council and its elected members should be
8 > proactive and initiate forward movement for the distribution with ideas
9 > and pushing them through, this doesn't seem to be the case in practice,
10 > sadly.
11 > [snip]
12
13 I understand the council to be a group of experienced Gentoo developers
14 who have the knowledge and awareness to assist the distribution in
15 making tough decisions. They shouldn't be counted on, by default, to
16 bring "forward movement" to Gentoo; that's the responsibility of all of
17 us and under most circumstances we shouldn't *need* the Council.
18 However, they're there for when the developer community cannot agree on
19 a standard. So in essence, the Council is often the last course of
20 action to stop bike-shedding and incite productive activity on a given
21 issue.
22
23 Actions often speak louder than words; if you feel strongly enough about
24 something and want to push things forward, a council proposal may be
25 what's needed assuming enough conversation on a given topic has happened
26 and it hasn't gone anywhere.
27
28 The less admin/bureaucratic overhead we have, the better. From what I
29 gather even the Council feels this way, but that's just my two cents.
32 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
33 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
34 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6