From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 11:28:08
1 >>>>> On Wed, 4 Jan 2017, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2
3 > On 01/04/2017 09:46 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 >> And what about anonymous developers? We do have them and in modern
5 >> world people may have good reasons to stay anonymous. Just reminds
6 >> me about US braindead law allowing company to own all code written
7 >> by dev, while he/she is employed, even when that code was written
8 >> using during off-duty hours or vacation days.
9
10 > Anonymous developers cause issues in other aspects as well, including
11 > copyright considerations. I'm not convinced it is necessarily a good
12 > thing to support it to a great extent.
13
14 Right, copyright issues alone are reason enough that developers should
15 commit under their real name. Recruiters have it in their rules [1]
16 since a long time that no exceptions to that rule will be made for
17 devs doing copyrightable work. So this isn't anything new.
18
19 Also I'm pretty sure that US law (or rather employment contracts)
20 doesn't differentiate between somebody committing under their real
21 name or under a pseudonym. The latter just hides the problem and has
22 a potential for repercussions at some later time.
23
24 Ulrich
25
26 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Recruiters#What_does_the_recruitment_process_involve.3F