From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] GLEP proposal: Gentoo GPG key policies
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:22:38
1 >>>>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Robin H Johnson wrote:
2
3 > GLEP: xx
4 > Title: Gentoo GPG key policies
5
6 Looks all good to me, except for one point:
7
8 > Recommendations:
9 > ----------------
10
11 > 3. Dedicated signing subkey of EITHER:
12
13 > 3.1. DSA 2048 bits exactly.
14
15 > 3.2. RSA 4096 bits exactly.
16
17 Isn't it overkill to use 4096 bits for the signing subkey? I'd expect
18 that the level of protection of the keys themselves in a typical
19 developer's environment is far from being a match for this. (Do all
20 devs use a machine for signing that is isolated from the internet?
21 Or use a smartcard, at least?)
22
23 Also 4096 bits are generally not supported by smartcards. For example,
24 the OpenPGP card (see http://www.g10code.de/p-card.html) in its newest
25 version supports RSA up to 3072 bits only.
26
27 The following XKCD comic summarises the issue quite well. :-)
28 http://xkcd.com/538/
29
30 Ulrich