From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-project] GLEP proposal: Gentoo GPG key policies
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:41:02
1 Am Montag 11 November 2013, 11:22:29 schrieb Ulrich Mueller:
2 >
3 > Looks all good to me, except for one point:
4 > > Recommendations:
5 > > ----------------
6 > >
7 > > 3. Dedicated signing subkey of EITHER:
8 > >
9 > > 3.1. DSA 2048 bits exactly.
10 > >
11 > > 3.2. RSA 4096 bits exactly.
12 >
13 > Isn't it overkill to use 4096 bits for the signing subkey? I'd expect
14 > that the level of protection of the keys themselves in a typical
15 > developer's environment is far from being a match for this. (Do all
16 > devs use a machine for signing that is isolated from the internet?
17 > Or use a smartcard, at least?)
18 >
19 > Also 4096 bits are generally not supported by smartcards. For example,
20 > the OpenPGP card (see http://www.g10code.de/p-card.html) in its newest
21 > version supports RSA up to 3072 bits only.
22
23 These smartcards as currently delivered are perfectly fine with 4096 bit (even
24 though 3072 is printed on the card!). That just isn't advertised since at the
25 time of design gnupg (the software) had a hard limit at 3072. The limit is
26 lifted since 2.0.20.
27
28 However, another question is whether to require a signing *subkey*. The cards
29 have (as far as I understand it) only one sign/cert key store, meaning they
30 can either hold the main key or the signing subkey, but never both.
33 http://dilfridge.blogspot.de/2013/05/openpgp-smartcards-and-gentoo-part-2.html
36 Andreas K. Huettel
37 Gentoo Linux developer
38 kde, council