From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-project] GLEP proposal: Gentoo GPG key policies
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:57:09
1 On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:38:47PM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > However, another question is whether to require a signing *subkey*. The cards
3 > have (as far as I understand it) only one sign/cert key store, meaning they
4 > can either hold the main key or the signing subkey, but never both.
5 > http://dilfridge.blogspot.de/2013/05/openpgp-smartcards-and-gentoo-part-2.html
6 Nothing in my proposal required a signing subkey. See the min
7 requirement vs the recommendation. To take the recommendations into a
8 smartkey environment isn't entirely practical.
9
10 I think if that the key in the sign/cert slot, be it a subkey or the
11 main key, should be valid to use for Gentoo signing.
12
13 I see 3 variations of developer:
14 1. Those with long-standing existing keys, that hopefully meet the min
15 requirement. It would be nice to encourage them to migrate over time.
16 2. New Software keys: New devs, existing devs rekeying
17 3. New Hardware keys: New devs, existing devs rekeying or migrating
18
19 The GLEP has to make all 3 groups happy, hence the breakdown between the
20 requirement and the recommendation. My own key is more than a decade
21 old, and has an extensive trust network. I do need to fully rotate it
22 sometime soon, but I want this GLEP to be finalized first. Sadly I don't
23 think I'll ever manage to meet all of the same people again to certify
24 my key.
27 Robin Hugh Johnson
28 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
29 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
30 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85