From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items for upcoming council meeting (2022-05-08)
Date: Sun, 08 May 2022 01:04:10
1 > On 6 May 2022, at 07:30, Arthur Zamarin <arthurzam@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 05/05/2022 23.08, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 3:27 PM Arthur Zamarin <arthurzam@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> This change will force all users to change their flow, or set the
7 >>> configuration part - meaning it is a semi-breaking change.
8 >>
9 >> Since commits to the main repo without the signoff are going to get
10 >> rejected anyway, if we decide to go ahead with this would it make
11 >> sense to just have it abort by default if the config item or command
12 >> line parameter is missing?
13 >>
14 >> If a user really wants to commit without a signoff they can just set
15 >> --signoff=false, or the equivalent in the config file.
16 >>
17 >> Basically make it a non-optional parameter.
18 >
19 > Just a small addition. Sign-off is a "must" only for gentoo repo.
20 > Overlays and other sources can have other policies. Meaning there is
21 > value for having it an optional argument.
22 >
23 >> If this weren't a gentoo-specific tool I'd see making the behavior
24 >> more generic, but it seems like if the default is going to be to help
25 >> the user to shoot themself in the foot, it should just output some
26 >> kind of explanation of the need for the parameter and what it means if
27 >> it is not provided.
28 >
29 > But I do like the idea of showing a warning if gentoo repo is detected
30 > and without signoff, with short explanation how to add or configure it.
33 I think I get both sides here and while I don't think it's ideal, I need to
34 keep aside any reservations or hesitations I may have with the DCO model,
35 as it's not the topic at hand.
36
37 I think a decent compromise is a news item, warning on first use of some sort (news item
38 kind of accomplishes this, but pkg_postinst maybe), and updated
39 documentation. The config option to enable it is needed but that's already there
40 so it works for me.
41
42 Next step is to try figure out a way to make the contribution experience easier
43 for users by not forcing them to use PGP (or making errors from gpg more visible
44 in pkgdev commit). repoman suffered from the same issue where you'd write a commit
45 message then it'd bail out.
46
47 Thank you for reaching out and asking the community. I think you're handling
48 the responsibility of maintenance well, and thank you for the work!
49
50 > --
51 > Arthur Zamarin
52 > arthurzam@g.o
53 > Gentoo Linux developer (Python, Arch Teams, pkgcore stack, GURU)
54
55 Best,
56 sam