From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 19:32:29
1 >>>>> On Sat, 12 Dec 2020, Roy Bamford wrote:
2
3 > On 2020.12.12 15:15, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> >>>>> On Sat, 12 Dec 2020, Roy Bamford wrote:
5 >> > The original Proctors project was created by the council of the day
6 >> > to be a quick reaction short slap response team to CoC violations.
7 >> > Then one day, a council member did something to get slapped.
8 >> > Instead of calming down and reflecting on events, by which time, the
9 >> > slap would have worn off, said council member appealed directly to
10 >> > council and managed to get the Proctors disbanded.
11 >>
12 >> That's very different from my recollection of events. The relevant
13 >> Council log [1] also tells a different story.
14
15 > I have the 'benefit', that may not be the right word, of being the on
16 > the proctors team at the time.
17
18 OK, then let's look into the details. As I recall it, disbanding of was
19 triggered by the infamous "Living in a bubble" thread on the gentoo-dev
20 mailing list in 2007:
21
22 - beejay posts a bad joke, disparaging Paludis and insulting ciaranm [2]
23 - As can be expected, several people react to this
24 - A Proctor (neddyseagoon) issues a warning [3], about half an hour
25 after the original posting
26 - Shortly after that, another Proctor (amne) suspends two peoples'
27 (ciaranm and geoman) accounts [4]
28 - At which point a Council member (wolf31o2) complains about the
29 Proctors' action (in his opinion, banning the wrong people) and calls
30 for disbanding of the Proctors [5]
31 - amne rage-quits [6]
32 - A discussion follows about the Proctors project, and that they should
33 develop some guidelines. Which never happens.
34
35 There's also a summary of this by marienz, from a Proctor's point of
36 view [7].
37
38 So please tell me, where in the above chain of event do you see a CoC
39 violation by a Council member?
40
41 And of course, nothing of this is relevant for the present discussion.
42 Still, if you make accusations like this:
43
44 >> > That sent the message to the community that the CoC did not apply
45 >> > to council members. The CoC has never recovered.
46
47 ... then I pretty much think that you should back them by actual facts.
48
49 Ulrich
50
51 >> [1] https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20070712.txt