From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:04:57
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 02/05/2015 05:54 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > Dnia 2015-02-05, o godz. 17:50:21 Markos Chandras
6 > <hwoarang@g.o> napisał(a):
7 >
9 >>
10 >> On 02/05/2015 06:56 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
11 >>> Hello, everyone.
12 >>>
13 >>> It's finally time to discuss some of the recruitment issues.
14 >>> It's not a new complaint that the process is time-consuming
15 >>> and discouraging to our contributors. We have a pretty low
16 >>> number of new recruits [well, we could definitely have a higher
17 >>> number!] and too often they resign in the process.
18 >>>
19 >>> As I see it, the main issue are ebuild quizzes. They are very
20 >>> time- consuming and discouraging. It's like filling a quiz
21 >>> with relatively simple questions where answers need to fit a
22 >>> key, and you have to tell the recruit to fill in the missing
23 >>> bits a few times just to help him get further.
24 >>>
25 >>> I myself attempted ebuild quiz twice, because the first time I
26 >>> simply ended up not having the time for it. My late recruit
27 >>> was making slow progress, and recently vanished -- hopefully
28 >>> only because he doesn't have will for that anymore. As I see
29 >>> it, the disadvantages outweigh the benefits here.
30 >>>
31 >>> I have discussed this with kensington and a few Council members
32 >>> (unofficially), and we came up with following ideas:
33 >>>
34 >>> 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
35 >>> questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the
36 >>> stuff that can't be checked otherwise.
37 >>>
38 >>> 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate
39 >>> commits to the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the
40 >>> requests, review them and decide when the recruit is ready. We
41 >>> may extend this with requirements like '3 different developers
42 >>> must review late activities and evaluate them'.
43 >>>
44 >>> 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather
45 >>> than treating the interrogation as some kind of final
46 >>> confirmation, make it a small extra part of the learning
47 >>> process. In other words, reduce the other parts, fill in the
48 >>> blanks here.
49 >>>
50 >>> What do you think?
51 >>>
52 >>
53 >> So you want to discuss the procedures of how a team within
54 >> Gentoo operates without talking to that team first. And lets say
55 >> you get an agreement on the list on how recruiters should do
56 >> their job, and what means they should use, and then you expect
57 >> that team to simply follow that? Well how about *no*. It's nice
58 >> to take decisions on behalf of a team that you are not part of
59 >> and then simply expect them to follow what you have agreed on.
60 >> Sorry it's not going to happen simply because you wanted to. And
61 >> you really can't have the council to make such decision when that
62 >> team is very much alive and active. If you don't like how we do
63 >> things, then talk to us.
64 >
65 > I'm talking to you. Publicly, via this list. Is this a problem?
68 Taking this to a public debate, means that you expect recruiters to
69 follow what the majority "decides". This is not how the teams operate
70 in Gentoo. I explained to you why the process is not as "stupid" as
71 you may think. Certainly there ways to improve it, but like I said,
72 before you judge the process, you should discuss "mentoring" first.
73 This is where the problem is.
74
75 - --
76 Regards,