From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:54:38
1 Dnia 2015-02-05, o godz. 17:50:21
2 Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o> napisał(a):
3
5 > Hash: SHA512
6 >
7 > On 02/05/2015 06:56 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
8 > > Hello, everyone.
9 > >
10 > > It's finally time to discuss some of the recruitment issues. It's
11 > > not a new complaint that the process is time-consuming and
12 > > discouraging to our contributors. We have a pretty low number of
13 > > new recruits [well, we could definitely have a higher number!] and
14 > > too often they resign in the process.
15 > >
16 > > As I see it, the main issue are ebuild quizzes. They are very
17 > > time- consuming and discouraging. It's like filling a quiz with
18 > > relatively simple questions where answers need to fit a key, and
19 > > you have to tell the recruit to fill in the missing bits a few
20 > > times just to help him get further.
21 > >
22 > > I myself attempted ebuild quiz twice, because the first time I
23 > > simply ended up not having the time for it. My late recruit was
24 > > making slow progress, and recently vanished -- hopefully only
25 > > because he doesn't have will for that anymore. As I see it, the
26 > > disadvantages outweigh the benefits here.
27 > >
28 > > I have discussed this with kensington and a few Council members
29 > > (unofficially), and we came up with following ideas:
30 > >
31 > > 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
32 > > questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the stuff
33 > > that can't be checked otherwise.
34 > >
35 > > 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits
36 > > to the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests,
37 > > review them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend
38 > > this with requirements like '3 different developers must review
39 > > late activities and evaluate them'.
40 > >
41 > > 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
42 > > treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make
43 > > it a small extra part of the learning process. In other words,
44 > > reduce the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
45 > >
46 > > What do you think?
49 > So you want to discuss the procedures of how a team within Gentoo
50 > operates without talking to that team first. And lets say you get an
51 > agreement on the list on how recruiters should do their job, and what
52 > means they should use, and then you expect that team to simply follow
53 > that? Well how about *no*. It's nice to take decisions on behalf of a
54 > team that you are not part of and then simply expect them to follow
55 > what you have agreed on. Sorry it's not going to happen simply because
56 > you wanted to. And you really can't have the council to make such
57 > decision when that team is very much alive and active. If you don't
58 > like how we do things, then talk to us.
59
60 I'm talking to you. Publicly, via this list. Is this a problem?
63 Best regards,
64 Michał Górny