From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 17:47:22
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On 02/05/2015 06:56 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > Hello, everyone.
6 >
7 > It's finally time to discuss some of the recruitment issues. It's
8 > not a new complaint that the process is time-consuming and
9 > discouraging to our contributors. We have a pretty low number of
10 > new recruits [well, we could definitely have a higher number!] and
11 > too often they resign in the process.
12 >
13 > As I see it, the main issue are ebuild quizzes. They are very
14 > time- consuming and discouraging. It's like filling a quiz with
15 > relatively simple questions where answers need to fit a key, and
16 > you have to tell the recruit to fill in the missing bits a few
17 > times just to help him get further.
18 >
19 > I myself attempted ebuild quiz twice, because the first time I
20 > simply ended up not having the time for it. My late recruit was
21 > making slow progress, and recently vanished -- hopefully only
22 > because he doesn't have will for that anymore. As I see it, the
23 > disadvantages outweigh the benefits here.
24 >
25 > I have discussed this with kensington and a few Council members
26 > (unofficially), and we came up with following ideas:
27 >
28 > 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
29 > questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the stuff
30 > that can't be checked otherwise.
31 >
32 > 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits
33 > to the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests,
34 > review them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend
35 > this with requirements like '3 different developers must review
36 > late activities and evaluate them'.
37 >
38 > 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
39 > treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make
40 > it a small extra part of the learning process. In other words,
41 > reduce the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
42 >
43 > What do you think?
46 So you want to discuss the procedures of how a team within Gentoo
47 operates without talking to that team first. And lets say you get an
48 agreement on the list on how recruiters should do their job, and what
49 means they should use, and then you expect that team to simply follow
50 that? Well how about *no*. It's nice to take decisions on behalf of a
51 team that you are not part of and then simply expect them to follow
52 what you have agreed on. Sorry it's not going to happen simply because
53 you wanted to. And you really can't have the council to make such
54 decision when that team is very much alive and active. If you don't
55 like how we do things, then talk to us.
56
57 The reason why the process is so time consuming is because most
58 mentors do not do their work properly. When a recruit is handed to us,
59 most of the time it lacks knowledge in areas that the mentor should
60 have spent sometime and effort explaining that to them. I've been
61 doing that for quite a while and I can assure you that a properly
62 prepared recruits finish the review session in a couple of sessions.
63
64 So how about spending some time with your mentees first, make sure
65 they are well prepared, before you judge the process?
66
67 Gentoo is (becoming) rather complex, so yes, mentees need to be around
68 for quite a while to grasp everything they need to know in order to
69 not break the tree as soon as they get access.
70
71 Oh and everybody is talking about quizzes. We also have the webapp for
72 those thinking the format is so 80s. Oh and we are willing to drop
73 questions from quizzes. If you want to modify the quizzes you know the
74 drill. Open a bug, and lets discuss it.
75
76 - --
77 Regards,
78 Markos Chandras