From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:43:29
1 On 13/10/16 17:01, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > On 2016.10.13 00:30, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >> TL;DR: move comrel, infra, PR to Foundation. Have strict(er)
4 >> application
5 >> of policies to them in line with their powers.
6 >>
7 > [snip good stuff]
8 >
9 > Changing our metastruture towards a more normal corporate
10 > structure will make the delegation of authority/responsibility
11 > clearer, especially outside the USA. I think that's a good thing.
12 > I live outside the USA, so maybe I'm biased.
13 >
14 > There must be a reason why every other corporation follows
15 > one structural model and Gentoo has another.
16 > Its not useful to go into in this thread, its sufficient to
17 > recognise that we are where we are and need to work towards
18 > where we want to be.
19 >
20 > The "two headed monster" corporate structure works as
21 > long as we are all good friends and communicate well.
22 > It fails when someone in 'the distro' screws up an the first
23 > the Foundation gets to know of it is a writ delivered to our
24 > snail mail address.
25 >
26 > There is a far worse scenario for the individuals (outside
27 > of the officers and trustees of the Foundation) involved.
28 > A legal action may name project members 'jointly and
29 > severally'. Then we get to discussing if the project members
30 > were acting on behalf of the Foundation or not.
31 > This is the same discussion as who picks up the bill.
32 >
33 > I support the normalising of our corporate structure but
34 > recognise that its a lot of admin work for all involved that
35 > will not directly benefit our code base.
36 >
37 +1