From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 16:02:16
1 On 2016.10.13 00:30, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > TL;DR: move comrel, infra, PR to Foundation. Have strict(er)
3 > application
4 > of policies to them in line with their powers.
5 >
6 [snip good stuff]
7
8 Changing our metastruture towards a more normal corporate
9 structure will make the delegation of authority/responsibility
10 clearer, especially outside the USA. I think that's a good thing.
11 I live outside the USA, so maybe I'm biased.
12
13 There must be a reason why every other corporation follows
14 one structural model and Gentoo has another.
15 Its not useful to go into in this thread, its sufficient to
16 recognise that we are where we are and need to work towards
17 where we want to be.
18
19 The "two headed monster" corporate structure works as
20 long as we are all good friends and communicate well.
21 It fails when someone in 'the distro' screws up an the first
22 the Foundation gets to know of it is a writ delivered to our
23 snail mail address.
24
25 There is a far worse scenario for the individuals (outside
26 of the officers and trustees of the Foundation) involved.
27 A legal action may name project members 'jointly and
28 severally'. Then we get to discussing if the project members
29 were acting on behalf of the Foundation or not.
30 This is the same discussion as who picks up the bill.
31
32 I support the normalising of our corporate structure but
33 recognise that its a lot of admin work for all involved that
34 will not directly benefit our code base.
37 Regards,
38
39 Roy Bamford
40 (Neddyseagoon) a member of