From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 16:19:41
1 On 10/13/2016 11:01 AM, Roy Bamford wrote:
2 > On 2016.10.13 00:30, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >> TL;DR: move comrel, infra, PR to Foundation. Have strict(er)
4 >> application
5 >> of policies to them in line with their powers.
6 >>
7 > [snip good stuff]
8 >
9 > Changing our metastruture towards a more normal corporate
10 > structure will make the delegation of authority/responsibility
11 > clearer, especially outside the USA. I think that's a good thing.
12 > I live outside the USA, so maybe I'm biased.
13 >
14 > There must be a reason why every other corporation follows
15 > one structural model and Gentoo has another.
16 > Its not useful to go into in this thread, its sufficient to
17 > recognise that we are where we are and need to work towards
18 > where we want to be.
19 >
20 > The "two headed monster" corporate structure works as
21 > long as we are all good friends and communicate well.
22 > It fails when someone in 'the distro' screws up an the first
23 > the Foundation gets to know of it is a writ delivered to our
24 > snail mail address.
25 >
26 > There is a far worse scenario for the individuals (outside
27 > of the officers and trustees of the Foundation) involved.
28 > A legal action may name project members 'jointly and
29 > severally'. Then we get to discussing if the project members
30 > were acting on behalf of the Foundation or not.
31 > This is the same discussion as who picks up the bill.
32 >
33 > I support the normalising of our corporate structure but
34 > recognise that its a lot of admin work for all involved that
35 > will not directly benefit our code base.
38 Yes, I see this as moving things into a more normal setup. That this
39 topic comes up so often has to mean something. IMO, dividing Gentoo
40 between 'admin' and 'developer' makes sense, but that means, in my mind,
41 moving infra, pr and comrel under the foundation and keeping recruiters
42 largely under the council (I'll go into that in another thread).
45 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)