From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 17:34:40
1 On 04/10/16 06:26, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > Which then leads to the question, who leads Gentoo? Where is Gentoo going if
3 > neither Foundation nor Council sets the direction?
4
5 I don't think we have direction in a Chief Architect sense. I believe it
6 has some drawbacks.
7
8 Could you elaborate more how do you see leadership in a volunteer
9 organization like Gentoo?
10
11 > Gentoo get's it first in an overlay rather than in tree. If he was a developer.
12 > Gentoo would get it in tree before every distro, including Fedora, and RedHat,
13 > Paid for by RedHat.... How is that not a good thing?
14
15 I'd be all for such technical contribution, which I see would be much
16 more effective having direct commit rights.
17
18 I'm not sure if it's really all-or-nothing there. It may be feasible to
19 become a Gentoo developer and make Java on Gentoo great again, but put
20 aside the attempt to fix everything you disagree with in Gentoo at least
21 for a while (even where I think you do have a good point). As just an
22 observer, I don't see both things being possible at this moment though.
23
24 Paweł