From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: improving alternative PM support in gentoo
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:47:05
1 Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > What I'd like to see for the handbook is basically it being turned
4 > into a choose-your-own-adventure book, with an index and a "view all
5 > options"-type of presentation.
6
7 This has two major obstacles:
8
9 1. Users should be able to get a complete copy (also a printed copy)
10 with *full* installation instructions for some setup.
11 In fact, users might not have (easy) access to the internet before
12 the installation process is completed.
13
14 2. If you have many alternatives, all of these alternatives
15 must be maintained very regularly. Currently, the handbook
16 has already troubles in keeping up-to-date with *one* option.
17
18 While for 1, one might perhaps develop a technical solution,
19 I consider 2 is an obstacle which cannot be overcome.
20
21 It is probably much better, to keep it as it is:
22 One simple case described and regularly updated,
23 and refer to alternatives and very special situations
24 to the Wiki or other appropriate documentation.