From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: k_f@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-07-29
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 18:20:01
1 I for one would like to ask why disfiles is being kept inside the
2 "portage tree" in the first place.
3 On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 11:12 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > >>>>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
6 >
7 > >> /var/lib/{package-manager,pm}/gentoo
8 > >> /var/cache/{package-manager,pm}/distfiles
9 > >> /var/cache/{package-manager,pm}/packages
10 >
11 > > I don't really like the cache variant here as that data should be
12 > > able to be reconstructed by the application, which a distfile etc
13 > > necessarily isn't (e.g for fetch restricted packages it might get
14 > > lost),
15 >
16 > If users keep precious distfiles in a separate dir (which can be
17 > specified with PORTAGE_RO_DISTDIRS) then the distdir is pretty much a
18 > cache.
19 >
20 > > but /var/lib/package-manager/{repos,distfiles,packages} works well
21 > > for me
22 >
23 > That would work too, except that the top level of the gentoo repo
24 > would be at /var/lib/package-manager/repos/gentoo, which is awkward to
25 > type (especially if you compare it to /usr/portage) and has already
26 > _five_ path components.
27 >
28 > Ulrich