From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Poll: Would you sign a Contributer License Agreement?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 18:56:59
1 On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 1:45 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > I have a nit question:
4 > Can we please call the agreement "FLA" instead of "CLA", since it is
5 > derived from FSFE's FLA-2.0, and is still a FLA at it's heart, rather
6 > than a USian-centric CLA?
9 As a USian, I second the motion. I think the FLA is a copyleft approach to
10 CLA-like documents and I'd prefer that anybody who is adverse to CLAs in
11 general take a moment to understand what the FLA does before rushing to
12 judgment.
13
14 I believe this one was created using the FSFe's recommended attributes,
15 which are very GPL-like at heart. It grounds the Foundation power to do
16 the sorts of things we'd probably want them to be able to do, while
17 restricting their ability to do the sorts of things they probably shouldn't
18 be able to do. This extends to anybody who might seize control of the
19 Foundation legally (such as via a lawsuit/judgment), and as a result it
20 gives nefarious people less of an incentive to attempt to do so.
21
22 But, the above is subjective. Go read the document or the FSFe's
23 descriptions of the FLA to understand what it does. It is more than just a
24 "copyright assignment for Germany."
27 Rich