From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Bringing new people
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 10:24:25
1 On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 12:42:20 +0300 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > Hi all!
3 >
4 > Last year we had a good initiative: it addition to (or even instead
5 > of) manifests nominees were asked questions by voters. So let's
6 > continue this year.
7 >
8 > I propose to have one question per thread spawned by this e-mail to
9 > keep discussion focused. If you have multiple questions, please
10 > start multiple threads. If your question was already asked, please
11 > join a thread.
12 >
13 > I'll ask my questions in subsequent e-mails.
14
15 As almost any FOSS project Gentoo suffers from lack of manpower in
16 various areas. While there are technical ways to amend this like
17 automation improvements I'd like to focus on bringing new people.
18
19 Life changes, some developers eventually quit; number of packages
20 is growing (not only in Gentoo, but world-wide), their complexity
21 grows. All this requires new developers.
22
23 How do you propose to bring new people to our team? What as the
24 Council member you can do?
25 What do you think on current entrance threshold?
26 What about contributions by non-developers? Should we focus on e.g.
27 encouraging proxied maintainers to become developers or should we
28 grow out of the tree contributions without git tree access?
29
30 Best regards,
31 Andrew Savchenko