From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Bringing new people
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 02:39:33
1 On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 01:24:15PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > As almost any FOSS project Gentoo suffers from lack of manpower in
3 > various areas. While there are technical ways to amend this like
4 > automation improvements I'd like to focus on bringing new people.
5
6 I would like both. Automation is a good thing, but we need new people
7 also.
8
9 > How do you propose to bring new people to our team? What as the
10 > Council member you can do?
11
12 In my opinion, this falls on all of us. I think we need to work on
13 making the community more welcoming, and that will take effort by everyone.
14
15 > What do you think on current entrance threshold?
16
17 Since I don't know what the entrance threshold for other distros is
18 like, I don't feel really prepared to comment on ours.
19
20 I do know we have people who are proxiied maintainers and who chose to stay
21 proxied. I'll comment more on this below.
22
23 > What about contributions by non-developers? Should we focus on e.g.
24 > encouraging proxied maintainers to become developers or should we
25 > grow out of the tree contributions without git tree access?
26
27 Yes, I would like to see the distro focus on bringing in more
28 developers. Proxy-maint is a good thing, but I would rather see
29 proxy-maint set up as a way to move people toward being developers.
30 William