From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 06:42:15
1 I am sending this on behalf of idella4, as he can't send to the list at
2 this time. Just so you know :D
5 On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 07:56:41 +0100
6 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7
8 > Hello, everyone.
11 ...
12
13 > It's finally time to discuss some of the recruitment issues.
14
15 ooh is it. again, again, again.... ?!
16
17 > It's not
18 > a new complaint that the process is time-consuming and discouraging to
19 > our contributors.
20
21 indeed no
22
23 > We have a pretty low number of new recruits [well,
24 > we could definitely have a higher number!] and too often they resign
25 > in the process.
26 >
27 > As I see it, the main issue are ebuild quizzes. They are very time-
28 > consuming and discouraging. It's like filling a quiz with relatively
29 > simple questions where answers need to fit a key, and you have to tell
30 > the recruit to fill in the missing bits a few times just to help him
31 > get further.
32 >
33 > I myself attempted ebuild quiz twice, because the first time I simply
34 > ended up not having the time for it. My late recruit was making slow
35 > progress, and recently vanished -- hopefully only because he doesn't
36 > have will for that anymore. As I see it, the disadvantages outweigh
37 > the benefits here.
38
39 Well so far we have
40
41 "I totally agree, and I have been saying that for years"
42 and
43
44 "I thought the quizzes were kind of fun. They took a little while, but"
45
46 and
47
48 "The quizzes are already relatively easy,"
49
50 the morale here being something I learned in the early stages of the
51 education stream of my degree back in the day. Give the same task to
52 different people and there are different reactions and approaches. So
53 don't go trying to generalise on how mentorees cope or fail to adapt.
54 There are as many different responses as there are mentorees. However
55 let's not dismiss individual view on this outright. The collective is
56 after all made of each individual's input. We find some common factors
57 here; time available and time invested by a mentoree, and a mentoree's
58 overall motivation.
59
60 The task for any mentor is to get a firm handle on a mentoree's skills,
61 knowledge, motivation, area(s) of interest and even more. A mentor
62 need know who and what he is working with, then achieving the tasks to
63 achieve final goals then starting falling into place with relative ease.
66 > I have discussed this with kensington and a few Council members
67 > (unofficially), and we came up with following ideas:
68 >
69 > 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
70 > questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the stuff that
71 > can't be checked otherwise.
72 >
73 > 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
74 > the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests, review
75 > them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend this with
76 > requirements like '3 different developers must review late activities
77 > and evaluate them'.
78 >
79 > 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
80 > treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make it
81 > a small extra part of the learning process. In other words, reduce
82 > the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
83 >
84 > What do you think?
88 This reads like yet another sample of "hey I found this works for me so
89 let's make it for everyone 'cause I, actually, we, think it's good."
90 Shaded of 'let's rid herds'. After all if it works well in our broad
91 scope, well, let's make it global.
92
93 The point here is that getting devs into the gentoo community means
94 playing the numbers game. I have 2 mentorees both of whom I have I
95 don't see ever getting there. One has more insight and savvy about
96 portage than most devs but appears content doing what he does as a user
97 within the comfort of his overlays. He also has himself horribly over
98 stretched, but then he'd make a good dev. The disinterest and lack of
99 preparedness of a mentoree to sink in the time and effort to
100 prepare for final review sees them self select themselves out of
101 contention. The focus of importance has been touched upon lately, which
102 is mentoring. A senior dev posted an email months ago about making a
103 wiki page pairing keen users with would be mentors, and last I asked he
104 never did it because of the time factor. surprise surpise. The
105 proxy-maint project to me is an obvious path of assistance in this
106 topic, a project I just recently joined and am still 'getting into'.
107
108 I suggest you all re-read the reply by Markos to this thread. He
109 illustrates some key principles as an exp recruiter;
110
111 a) the task of recruiters is to pass someone equipped to handle a
112 number of generic tasks and responsibilities in the gentoo project, not
113 just those he or she likes and is working in and on. They need a view
114 of the bigger picture to be a dev, not just 1 or 2 little ones.
115 GET OVER IT.
116
117 b) The time consumed in a recruiting session is defined mostly in a
118 mentoree's under preparation. The recruiter it seems ends up playing
119 part mentor during a final review.
120
121 I was bounced back to my mentor by Markos in final review, so I know
122 about being under prepared. Markos was quite right in doing so at the
123 time too. There was nothing he said I needed to know about that
124 I didn't actually need to know about. Being prepared to become dev was
125 never easy. Some may make it look easy but remember you can't
126 generalise. For those who do, nice for them and that's all.
127
128 If the recruiting process needs anything, it needs a search engine for
129 the dev manual. The wiki pages has one I think. Finding something you
130 know to be in there in the dev manual is up there as the biggest time
131 consumer of all.
135 kind regards
136 Ian Delaney
139 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)