From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for nominees
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 19:58:25
1 On Fri, Jul 1, 2022 at 2:28 PM John Helmert III <ajak@g.o> wrote:
2 > Does your employer use Gentoo? If elected to council, could this
3 > produce a conflict of interest between your employer and Gentoo? If
4 > so, how would you handle the conflict?
5
6 I work for Google on ChromeOS graphics (Mesa 3D drivers primarily)
7
8 ChromeOS is built on Gentoo, and my Gentoo knowledge and experience is
9 useful for my work, but my job isn't packaging, build tooling, etc.
10 ChromeOS has a ::portage-stable repository that contains near-verbatim
11 copies of ebuilds from ::gentoo but also a ::chromiumos-overlay
12 repository for forked ebuilds. There are also forked eclasses, etc, so
13 ChromeOS is pretty insulated from changes in ::gentoo.
14
15 If there's ever a need to patch something (and it doesn't make sense
16 to patch it in ::gentoo) it's handled in ::chromiumos-overlay. In that
17 way, I don't really see a lot of potential for conflicts of interest
18 affecting Gentoo packaging, if handled properly.
19
20 An example of a case where I fixed something in ::gentoo for ChromeOS
21 is commit 326082ed7b1 ("app-misc/tmux: Add patch to fix cross
22 compiling"). It was a simple cherry-pick of an upstream patch to fix
23 cross-compilation—something that ChromeOS relies on but doesn't get a
24 ton of testing in Gentoo-proper.
25
26 I see this as an opportunity for collaboration much more so than a
27 potential for conflict. I would never make or advocate for changes to
28 Gentoo that helped ChromeOS to the detriment of Gentoo.