From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] With regard to udev stabilization
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:02:06
1 On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:40 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dear Everyone,
3 >
4 > It is no secret that many of us are unhappy with the direction that udev
5 > has taken under the leadership of the systemd developers. That includes
6 > Linus Torvalds, who is 'leery of the fact that the udev maintenance
7 > seems to have gone into some "crazy mode" where they have made changes
8 > that were known to be problematic, and are pure and utter stupidity.'
9 >
10 > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/2/505
11 >
12 > After speaking with several other Gentoo developers that share Linus'
13 > concerns, I have decided to form a team to fork udev. Our plan is to
14 > eliminate the separate /usr requirement from our fork, among other
15 > things. We will announce the project later this week.
16 >
17 > I understand that the council is scheduled to vote on a topic related to
18 > udev stabilization. Would it be possible to delay the vote for another
19 > month so that we have time to get organized?
20 >
21 > Yours truly,
22 > Richard Yao
25 Have you tried contacting other distros? They may face the same
26 problems with us and they might be interested
27 in helping us out.
30 Regards,
31 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2