From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 18:47:21
1 On 13/11/18 18:32, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I need to ask the community a couple of questions about copyright
5 > attribution that came up this past couple of weeks around bug 670702 [1].
6 >
7 > My first question is about the "Gentoo Authors" string. My understanding
8 > of this is that this string is to be only used in the simplified
9 > form of attribution and is not a generic catch-all that can be used in
10 > the traditional form. Does everyone agree with this? If so, this is
11 > somewhat problematic for traditional attribution, but I'll talk about
12 > that below.
13 >
14 > Since we do not do copyright assignment any more and the glep allows for
15 > traditional attribution, if some entity
16 > (company, person etc) has a desire for a copyright notice in
17 > their work, the case for not allowing this is very weak at best, so we will
18 > end up with more and more ebuilds that want to use traditional copyright
19 > attribution, and once an ebuild is switched over, it is problematic to
20 > switch back.
21 >
22 > Some in the council seem to want a tree policy that requires
23 > traditional attribution to be one and only one line at the top of ebuilds, e.g.
24 >
25 > # Copyright <years> [contributor1,] [contributor2,] [contributor3,] ... [contributorn] and others
26 >
27 > As you can see from my example, line length will quickly become
28 > problematic in this format because all lines in in-tree ebuilds are
29 > supposed to be under 80 characters.
30 >
31 > It is also problematic because the relationship between the years and
32 > contributors becomes unclear unless we allow ranges and single years in
33 > the copyright notice, which would lead to something like this:
34 >
35 > # Copyright <years1>, <years2>, <years3>, ... <yearsn+1> [contributor1,] [contributor2,] [contributor3,] ... [contributorn] and others
36 >
37 > This is going to have the same maintenance issues as traditional multiline
38 > attribution, but it is going to be very painful to maintain since it is
39 > all on one line. Multiple-lines would be much easier to maintain, and
40 > there is no cost performance wise for them.
41 >
42 > # Copyright <years1> <contributor1>
43 > # Copyright <years2> <contributor2>
44 > # Copyright <years3> <contributor3>
45 > # ...
46 > # Copyright <yearsn+1> others (or some catch-all like it)
47 >
48 > This seems to be a pretty compelling case for multiline traditional
49 > attribution. What do folks think?
50 >
51 > William
52 >
53 > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/670702
54 > [2] https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0076.html
55 Surely that's a no-brainer? (to make copyrights multi-line, like every
56 other source out there in the wild already ...
57
58 #thegentooway