From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: council@g.o, trustees@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 18:32:47
1 All,
2
3 I need to ask the community a couple of questions about copyright
4 attribution that came up this past couple of weeks around bug 670702 [1].
5
6 My first question is about the "Gentoo Authors" string. My understanding
7 of this is that this string is to be only used in the simplified
8 form of attribution and is not a generic catch-all that can be used in
9 the traditional form. Does everyone agree with this? If so, this is
10 somewhat problematic for traditional attribution, but I'll talk about
11 that below.
12
13 Since we do not do copyright assignment any more and the glep allows for
14 traditional attribution, if some entity
15 (company, person etc) has a desire for a copyright notice in
16 their work, the case for not allowing this is very weak at best, so we will
17 end up with more and more ebuilds that want to use traditional copyright
18 attribution, and once an ebuild is switched over, it is problematic to
19 switch back.
20
21 Some in the council seem to want a tree policy that requires
22 traditional attribution to be one and only one line at the top of ebuilds, e.g.
23
24 # Copyright <years> [contributor1,] [contributor2,] [contributor3,] ... [contributorn] and others
25
26 As you can see from my example, line length will quickly become
27 problematic in this format because all lines in in-tree ebuilds are
28 supposed to be under 80 characters.
29
30 It is also problematic because the relationship between the years and
31 contributors becomes unclear unless we allow ranges and single years in
32 the copyright notice, which would lead to something like this:
33
34 # Copyright <years1>, <years2>, <years3>, ... <yearsn+1> [contributor1,] [contributor2,] [contributor3,] ... [contributorn] and others
35
36 This is going to have the same maintenance issues as traditional multiline
37 attribution, but it is going to be very painful to maintain since it is
38 all on one line. Multiple-lines would be much easier to maintain, and
39 there is no cost performance wise for them.
40
41 # Copyright <years1> <contributor1>
42 # Copyright <years2> <contributor2>
43 # Copyright <years3> <contributor3>
44 # ...
45 # Copyright <yearsn+1> others (or some catch-all like it)
46
47 This seems to be a pretty compelling case for multiline traditional
48 attribution. What do folks think?
49
50 William
51