From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Council <council@g.o>, Gentoo Trustees <trustees@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 02:17:29
1 On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Since we do not do copyright assignment any more and the glep allows for
4 > traditional attribution, if some entity
5 > (company, person etc) has a desire for a copyright notice in
6 > their work, the case for not allowing this is very weak at best, so we will
7 > end up with more and more ebuilds that want to use traditional copyright
8 > attribution, and once an ebuild is switched over, it is problematic to
9 > switch back.
10
11 So, the purpose of allowing specific copyright holders to be named was
12 to cover cases where we're forking foreign code, not to basically
13 introduce a variant on the BSD advertising clause. IMO people who are
14 only willing to contribute FOSS if their name gets put in a prominent
15 location might do better to contribute elsewhere.
18 > As you can see from my example, line length will quickly become
19 > problematic in this format because all lines in in-tree ebuilds are
20 > supposed to be under 80 characters.
21
22 Indeed, this is tone of he problems with allowing people to spam the
23 copyright notice. It is basically the advertising clause in a
24 different place.
27 > It is also problematic because the relationship between the years and
28 > contributors becomes unclear unless we allow ranges and single years in
29 > the copyright notice, which would lead to something like this:
30 >
31 > # Copyright <years1>, <years2>, <years3>, ... <yearsn+1> [contributor1,] [contributor2,] [contributor3,] ... [contributorn] and others
32
33 The purpose of a copyright notice is to declare that the file is
34 copyrighted, and that is it.
35
36 It isn't a comprehensive list of everybody who holds a copyright on the file.
37
38 It isn't a revision history.
39
40 There is no need to list various mixes of years and authors. Just
41 list the first and last year, and whatever copyright holders are
42 necessary.
43
44 > Multiple-lines would be much easier to maintain, and
45 > there is no cost performance wise for them.
46
47 Except for spam in our files.
48
49 Heck, repoman complains if you stick two newlines in a row in the
50 file, and now we basically want to add a revision history to the file?
51
52 Just say no. Fit it on one line.
53
54 But, if you had to have multiple lines, then just wrap the existing
55 notice. Don't turn it into some kind of revision history. Just list
56 one year range and whatever list of entities you feel compelled to
57 list. That is the proper way to do a notice.
60 Rich