From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 02:46:49
1 On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 06:17:17PM -0800, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Since we do not do copyright assignment any more and the glep allows for
5 > > traditional attribution, if some entity
6 > > (company, person etc) has a desire for a copyright notice in
7 > > their work, the case for not allowing this is very weak at best, so we will
8 > > end up with more and more ebuilds that want to use traditional copyright
9 > > attribution, and once an ebuild is switched over, it is problematic to
10 > > switch back.
11 >
12 > So, the purpose of allowing specific copyright holders to be named was
13 > to cover cases where we're forking foreign code, not to basically
14 > introduce a variant on the BSD advertising clause. IMO people who are
15 > only willing to contribute FOSS if their name gets put in a prominent
16 > location might do better to contribute elsewhere.
17
18 Do you feel this way about corporations as well? Do you think the Linux
19 kernel maintainers should go and rip out all copyright notices other
20 than Linus Torvalds and maybe the Linux Foundation?
24 > > As you can see from my example, line length will quickly become
25 > > problematic in this format because all lines in in-tree ebuilds are
26 > > supposed to be under 80 characters.
27 >
28 > Indeed, this is tone of he problems with allowing people to spam the
29 > copyright notice. It is basically the advertising clause in a
30 > different place.
33 > > It is also problematic because the relationship between the years and
34 > > contributors becomes unclear unless we allow ranges and single years in
35 > > the copyright notice, which would lead to something like this:
36 > >
37 > > # Copyright <years1>, <years2>, <years3>, ... <yearsn+1> [contributor1,] [contributor2,] [contributor3,] ... [contributorn] and others
38 >
39 > The purpose of a copyright notice is to declare that the file is
40 > copyrighted, and that is it.
41 >
42 > It isn't a comprehensive list of everybody who holds a copyright on the file.
43 >
44 > It isn't a revision history.
45 >
46 > There is no need to list various mixes of years and authors. Just
47 > list the first and last year, and whatever copyright holders are
48 > necessary.
49 >
50 > > Multiple-lines would be much easier to maintain, and
51 > > there is no cost performance wise for them.
52 >
53 > Except for spam in our files.
54
55 And how does that affect performance?
56
57 > Heck, repoman complains if you stick two newlines in a row in the
58 > file, and now we basically want to add a revision history to the file?
59
60 No, a revision history comes from vcs.
63 > Just say no. Fit it on one line.
64 >
65 > But, if you had to have multiple lines, then just wrap the existing
66 > notice. Don't turn it into some kind of revision history. Just list
67 > one year range and whatever list of entities you feel compelled to
68 > list. That is the proper way to do a notice.
69
70 No sir, it isn't.
71
72 Look anywhere outside the Gentoo tree. For that matter, take the Linux
73 kernel, or even in the systemd source, there are several places with
74 multiple copyright notices in them.
75
76 William