From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Expanding Foundation Bylaws, section 4.9 Termination from Membership
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 07:32:39
1 >>>>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2018, Matthew Thode wrote:
2
3 > On 18-02-08 15:33:02, Daniel Robbins wrote:
4 >> I think rich0 is spot-on here where if we make it even shorter, it gets
5 >> even stronger:
6 >>
7 >> Section 4.9. Termination from Membership.
8 >> Membership may be terminated by a majority vote of the board of
9 >> trustees.
10 >>
11 >> No explanation required. Right now, it sounds like the trustees may
12 >> need to justify that the member is acting contrary to the
13 >> purpose(s) of the Foundation. When really, no justification should
14 >> be required (it just opens the door for endless argument,
15 >> grumpiness, and thus more likely to lead to legal action). At the
16 >> very least, it should say that the trustees can remove anyone *they
17 >> feel* (ie. based on *their opinion*, which can't be argued) is
18 >> acting poorly. That removes the possibility of debate.
19
20 > Agreed, this is the only improvement I see us making to that specific
21 > bylaw.
22
23 Have I understood this right, removing the possibility of debate and
24 giving trustees the power to haphazardly kick members is seen as an
25 *improvement* over what there is now? I would rather call it
26 despotism.
27
28 Just for comparison, look at the corresponding wording in the bylaws
29 of Gentoo e.V. (my attempt of a translation, original German is in
30 https://gentoo-ev.org/w/images/8/86/Satzung.pdf, §4 (5)):
31
32 "A member may be excluded by decision of the board: for damaging the
33 reputation of the Verein, for failing to pay the membership fee, or
34 for another important reason. The board must communicate the decision
35 to the excluded member in writing, indicating the reasons, and give
36 him hearing on request. The general members' assembly can be invoked
37 for an appeal against the board's decision; membership is suspended
38 until the decision of the general assembly."
39
40 Ulrich