From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Handbooks moving to the wiki
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 15:02:38
1 On 14 December 2014 at 09:22, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 22:04:28 +0800 Ben de Groot wrote:
6 > > On 14 December 2014 at 21:59, Alexander Berntsen <bernalex@g.o>
7 > wrote:
9 > > > Hash: SHA256
10 > > >
11 > > > On 14/12/14 14:57, Ben de Groot wrote:
12 > > >> Is https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_install_guide not enough for
13 > > >> your needs?
14 > > > No.
15 > > >
16 > > > I like having a comprehensive book to lend friends and look at when
17 > > > helping friends install Gentoo. This is not comprehensive enough for a
18 > > > newbie.
19 > >
20 > > In such cases I would recommend a Live USB (or CD/DVD) that has a
21 > > graphical environment, so that the user can keep a modern web browser
22 > > next to a terminal window, to ease installation. In that case the wiki
23 > > is perfectly usable.
24 >
25 > No, this is not a solution, because on particular hardware live
26 > media (live usb/cd/dvd/whatever) may fail with video or gui support.
27 >
28 > I had such problem this year, when I had to install Gentoo from
29 > LiveCD without ability to use any other host for support (reading
30 > howtos, googling and so on). I used SystemRescueCD because of ample
31 > set of debug, admin and analysis tools I needed to configure
32 > system properly, but GUI was just a failure due to lack of nvidia
33 > drivers out of the box. Of course, I can easily fix such issues
34 > when fresh system is installed, but while it was being installed I
35 > had to use what is available from the live media. And elinks was a
36 > great help back there.
37 >
38 > So it will be really nice to keep handbook copies outside of wiki
39 > interface. Probably a reasonable compromise will be to keep
40 > handbooks at the wiki, but to use some script to generate simpler
41 > htmls for out of the wiki usage scope.
42 >
43 > Best regards,
44 > Andrew Savchenko
48 I feel like we do not need to optimize for this case really. I feel that
49 the odds of installing Gentoo where you have no GUI (via either the LiveDVD
50 or SystemRescueCD), no smartphone to use to look at the wiki, no tablet to
51 use to look at the wiki (I'm not sure about elsewhere, but here in the US,
52 you can get a brand-new Android tablet for $40 USD at a physical store
53 (less online) and in the UK you can find them under 50GBP), no spare
54 computers to use to look at the wiki are extremely unlikely.