From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for Council Agenda Items - 14 Oct 2014
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 18:09:05
1 On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2014-10-13, o godz. 14:54:56
3 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> >>>>> On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Michał Górny wrote:
6 >>
7 >> > 2. Dependency updates [2] are stuck midway games. With no help from
8 >> > games team, the fact that most of the current dependencies don't
9 >> > make sense and that most of the games are proprietary, you shouldn't
10 >> > expect much sane progress anytime soon. Likely we're just going to
11 >> > end up updating the current dependencies knowing they're likely
12 >> > wrong.
13 >>
14 >> "Il meglio è l'inimico del bene." -- Voltaire
15 >>
16 >> You could start with the dependencies currently in ebuilds, and in
17 >> addition use tools like scanelf or lddtree for scanning the binaries
18 >> installed by the package. (Or even the old tools for porting packages
19 >> to modular X [4] could be used; it's a very similar task.)
20 >
21 > Proprietary games == no binaries for me.
22
23 My thought is that we should do what we can with what we have, give
24 notice to the maintainers, and pull the plugs on the emul packages (or
25 at least stop maintaining them, pulling them if they have security
26 issues).
27
28 I think the fact that we can have non-redistributable or even
29 proprietary software in portage is actually one of Gentoo's strengths.
30 However, it still needs to be maintained. We can better tolerate
31 inactive maintainers for FOSS since anybody can step in and maintain
32 them.
33
34 If a proprietary package breaks, then it should be treecleaned. I
35 don't think we have to tiptoe around them to keep this from happening.
36 They need to be maintained like any other package.