From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: dilfridge@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2013-01-08
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 21:02:45
1 On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 16:21:13 +0100
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Am Donnerstag, 27. Dezember 2012, 14:37:37 schrieb Michał Górny:
5 > >
6 > > a) adding new profiles which will require EAPI=5 and requiring all
7 > > users to migrate to them after upgrading portage. Using new
8 > > use.stable.mask files in those profiles.
9 > >
10 > > b) adding new profiles (with current EAPIs) and requesting our unstable
11 > > users to migrate to them. Masking the relevant USE flags globally
12 > > and unmasking in those profiles.
13 > >
14 > > c) 'fixing' the use.stable.mask feature and wording it in such a way
15 > > that it would apply to EAPI 5 (or 6) packages independently of profiles
16 > > EAPI.
19 > As the original proponent of the .stable.mask files, I'd recommend solution
20 > c). This is what I intended to achieve in the beginning; I accepted to place
21 > this into a new profile EAPI after I saw no chance of it going into PMS
22 > otherwise.
23 >
24 > According to PMS, profile directories may contain files not recognized by the
25 > package manager. A package manager that does not understand the stable.mask
26 > files will thus -if PMS-compliant- just ignore them.
27
28 But the PMS-compliant package managers would not apply them as well. So
29 we either have to do that in a new EAPI which could be a bit confusing
30 in wording, or retroactively change EAPI 5 which will require fixes to
31 package managers and could cause random issues with stable systems
32 which haven't updated the pm yet.
33
34 > Solutions a) and b) have the big disadvantage that you will never ever be able
35 > to use the stable.mask files in the main profile directory or the base profile
36 > (since there the main profile EAPI setting will apply also in the future).
37 > Other disadvantages have also been discussed.
38
39 Yes, especially b) would mostly mean that the *stable.mask files are
40 useful mostly for overlays.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny