From: Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Improvements to the About Gentoo page
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:24:18
1 Angelo Arrifano schrieb am 16.02.2011 21:41:
2 >
3 > I am now starting a discussion at this list looking for other
4 > opinions, suggestions or criticism regarding the proposed version [1]
5 > which already includes ideas from other developers, namely Paweł
6 > Hajdan, Roy Bamford, Jorge Vicetto and Christian Faulhammer. I thank
7 > them for their suggestions.
8 >
9 > For starting, are there any ideas for a better phrase which invites
10 > people to use Gentoo? In the proposal there is: "At one point we all
11 > were new to Gentoo and learned about it, now it is your turn." A
12 > developer expressed that the phrase is weird and I agree.
13
14 Maybe a few words about Gentoo being a source based distribution which I
15 think is an important point. From the current version one could guess
16 this by reading between the lines but I think it should be mentioned
17 explicitly. There are not so many source based distributions and not
18 everybody may know that such a thing exits. In turn because of this it
19 should be mentioned that people with old/slow hardware have to accept
20 longer compile times (but binary packages, distributed compiling,
21 cross-compiling come to mind here).
22
23 Just a few thoughts.
26 Regards,