From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 18:57:46
1 On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 11:55 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Friday, October 14, 2016 11:28:18 AM EDT Raymond Jennings wrote:
5 > > A developer should always be able to say "no vote because I'm too busy
6 > > coding and don't give a rat's ass about foundation politics" in a trustee
7 > > election.
8 >
9 > True, but it really does not take long to vote. That is really the only
10 > obligation, annually.
13 That's what I mean, a developer's vote should always be able to be
14 "abstain" if they wish.
17 > I can understand anyone objecting to membership, but the
18 > burden is VERY little if any. Plus not really required to vote, just
19 > required
20 > if you want to remain a member.
21 >
22 > > I am wary of putting more burdens on a developer than they are prepared
23 > > for, and I oppose requiring developers to be foundation members or vice
24 > > versa or staff or vice versa.
25 >
26 > I agree.
27 >
28 > Part of the idea is if the Foundation was more functional and played more
29 > of a
30 > role in Gentoo. Developers may have more interest as they may have benefit.
31 >
32 > Say your working on some hardware platform. The Foundation makes a deal
33 > with
34 > that vendor. Now the developer has access to hardware they may not
35 > otherwise.
36 > That may give the developer more interest and reason to participate in the
37 > Foundation. If their involvement is conducive to development.
38 >
39 > --
40 > William L. Thomson Jr.