From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 18:55:16
1 On Friday, October 14, 2016 11:28:18 AM EDT Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > A developer should always be able to say "no vote because I'm too busy
3 > coding and don't give a rat's ass about foundation politics" in a trustee
4 > election.
5
6 True, but it really does not take long to vote. That is really the only
7 obligation, annually. I can understand anyone objecting to membership, but the
8 burden is VERY little if any. Plus not really required to vote, just required
9 if you want to remain a member.
10
11 > I am wary of putting more burdens on a developer than they are prepared
12 > for, and I oppose requiring developers to be foundation members or vice
13 > versa or staff or vice versa.
14
15 I agree.
16
17 Part of the idea is if the Foundation was more functional and played more of a
18 role in Gentoo. Developers may have more interest as they may have benefit.
19
20 Say your working on some hardware platform. The Foundation makes a deal with
21 that vendor. Now the developer has access to hardware they may not otherwise.
22 That may give the developer more interest and reason to participate in the
23 Foundation. If their involvement is conducive to development.
26 William L. Thomson Jr.