From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 08:47:00
1 While Gentoo is not currently bureaucracy-bound in terms of technical
2 service,
3 I am seeing a fair amount of bureaucratic-think in a few situations that
4 are more
5 community oriented. I will not take sides in any particular complaints,
6 that is a
7 useless effort when there is not enough information available for me to
8 analyze.
9
10 So far, there are rumors and allegations, but no hard data available. Some
11 want
12 all the data out in the open, and others are more comfortable with dealing
13 with it
14 in a more controlled manner in private. The difference of opinion is the
15 crux
16 of the matter. Certainly, though, I have an opinion that a person directly
17 involved
18 should have access to the full data. While the situation is not a "legal"
19 case, there
20 is no requirement to apply "rules of evidence" and other such formalities;
21 however,
22 some aspects of the USA's rules and rights may be generally applicable. We
23 surely
24 do not want to get involved in the quibbling and other tactics of folks who
25 might
26 want to be CoC and ComRel "lawyers"!!
27
28 I also am of the opinion that there should be appropriate principles that
29 guide folks
30 in their use of the various forums that abound for the community. The
31 electronic
32 virtual communities have the advantage off being able to create as many
33 topic
34 specific channels as they need or want, but care needs to be taken to not
35 allow
36 too many to the extent that no-one knows where to put a conversation. The
37 history
38 of Usenet News is a perfect example of this phenomenon.
39
40 One thought that occurs to me is that some sort of compromise may be needed:
41 certain social problems could be discussed in informal private
42 conversations, but
43 before an action is taken as a resul some sort of public disclosue and
44 analysis
45 should be made available ro the community. This is in keeping with the
46 traditions
47 of various bodies around the world. It offers a balance of the ability to
48 deliberate candidly
49 with the transparency of showing the why and wherefores. Ideally, the
50 summary
51 of the deliberations should be given with some delay before the actions are
52 implemented to allow for community opinions to be gauged.
53
54 To me, the secrecy and confidentiality that does occur shows that there is
55 some incipient
56 bureaucracy-think developing. It needs correcting fairly quickly to
57 preserve Gentoo's
58 reputation as a fair and open-minded community.
59
60 [I will point out that we should not be so open-minded that our brains fall
61 out!]
62
63 Compromise is the word of the day.
66 G.Wolfe Woodbury