From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council 2022-23: Questions for Candidates: how to increase contributions
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 23:18:05
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've also been pretty busy this voting period, so sorry about that, but
4 I will attempt to answer these questions as well.
7 > On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 06:06:40PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
8 > > A question I'd like the candidates to answer.
9 > >
10 > > What do you feel that Council can do to increase the contributions to
11 > > Gentoo?
12
13 This one is difficult because the council really doesn't control
14 contributions. I do think that we are heading into a good place for
15 this however. With the addition of gitlab, I think we can possibly make
16 it easier for folks to contribute.
17
18 Also, while the proxy maintainers project is a good thing, I would like
19 to see a push for proxy maintainers to become developers.
20
21 > > - how do we make it easier to get orders of magnitude more contributors?
22 > > - how do we make it easier to do QA on significantly more contributions?
23 > > - what blockers do you perceive in the contribution processes, and how
24 > > do you think they should be tackled?
25
26 I agree with the sentaments about tooling already mentioned. Better
27 tooling would make things much easier.
28
29 This also includes keeping the stable tree relevant. I know for me, and
30 probably for a lot of maintainers, stabilization is a lot of work. I
31 think there needs to be a way (with opt out by maintainers of course)
32 that packages can be stabled automatically after 30 days in the tree.
33
34 > > Many of the developers I nominated in my previous email to the -project
35 > > list were because are the very prolific contributors or have significant
36 > > impact in their contributors: how can we increase not just the prolific
37 > > contributors, but get many more contributors everywhere?
38
39 Like I said above, I think one thing we should do is actively encourage
40 proxy maintainers to become developers.
41
42 I am hoping that the transition to gitlab will include moving all of our
43 work over there and not accepting prs from github. That way everyone
44 will contribute through the same workflow.
45
46 Thanks,
47
48 William