From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo as hobbyist distro
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 15:33:19
1 On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 08:09:38PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2019-06-15 at 12:42 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > Some developers were recently complaining that we're turning Gentoo into
4 > a hobbyist distro and that's apparently bad.
5 >
6 > Do you think Gentoo should allow for experimental and unstable features,
7 > and possibly breaking changes that make Gentoo more interesting for
8 > hobbyists? Or should we block breaking changes and become more
9 > conservative for users who prefer stable distribution with minimal
10 > maintenance burden?
11
12 This is sort of vague, but I do have a couple of thoughts on the matter.
13
14 I have heard of production users deciding to use full ~ keywords, e.g.
15 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
16 This has never been a good idea, production users should be using the
17 opposite, because ~ packages will have breakages from time to time.
18
19 I don't know how it is now, but I know that keeping the stable tree
20 relevant has been a big issue for us in the past for a number of
21 reasons, and I still think we should improve that.
22
23 Never breaking backward compatibility is not possible. The best we can do
24 is provide a smooth transition forward for users. Unfortunately,
25 sometimes, manual intervention must happen. For example, the migration
26 to the 17.1 profiles had no other option.
27
28 At the package level, backward compatibility depends a lot on what
29 upstreams do. It is up to the individual package maintainers to make
30 sure that upgrades happen as smoothly as possible -- automatically where
31 possible, but if this is not possible, upgrading instructions should be
32 available to the user some way.
33
34 Other than that, I'm not sure how to answer this. I would be open to a
35 discussion to try to figure it out.
36
37 Thanks,
38