From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 01:42:59
1 On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 6:02 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > I
3 > still wholeheartedly believe that whilst that project continues to work
4 > under a veil of secrecy (with no disrespect to any members concerned) it
5 > loses a sense of integrity. If anyone cannot see this, I continue to
6 > believe they are naive or worse.
7
8 While I agree that operating in secrecy isn't ideal, I don't see how
9 it can work any other way.
10
11 The moment you start to make this sort of thing public you start to
12 run into the risk of slander, for starters. It also makes it harder
13 for somebody accused of something to rejoin the community because now
14 everybody is taking sides, probably against each other.
15
16 Ultimately it comes down to electing people you trust to deal with
17 this stuff. It isn't ideal, but at some point it is the best you can
18 do, IMO.
19
20 I get that this is easier for me to accept than a lot of others,
21 because when there is an appeal I get to see both sides of the story,
22 and everybody else just gets one side of the story and a bunch of
23 Council members saying that they think that the decision was fair. It
24 would be a lot easier if everything simply were public and then
25 everybody could just cast their own votes. I just don't think it
26 would be good for Gentoo.
27
28 > If there are cases of appeal which are brought to the council, and the
29 > grounds of the action made available are not the whole story, I would
30 > certainly expect the council to be made fully aware of this, even if
31 > this doesn't facilitate any further disclosure.
32
33 In cases of appeal all the Comrel records are made available to the
34 Council. I can't think of anybody on the Council who would tolerate
35 it being any other way.
36
37 > Finally, in instances of forced retirements I have witnessed, the person
38 > in question was removed from access to Bugzilla before the full claim
39 > made against them was documented. And therefore they were unaware of the
40 > accusations/allegations made against them with which to form an appeal
41 > to the body of ComRel nor Council.
42
43 Keep in mind that you're "witnessing" things from a fairly limited
44 perspective, since you don't have direct access to anything, but
45 you're only able to hear what people choose to share with you. And on
46 the official side of things that is basically nothing.
47
48 I can't really speak to any individual cases but I can't think of any
49 appeals where the person appealing didn't have general knowledge of
50 the substance of the actual complaint against them (and looking at
51 recent appeals I see clear evidence in emails that this was the case).
52 They might not have had a copy of every private conversation anybody
53 had with somebody else, or the specific names of witnesses, but they
54 did understand the nature of the complaints.
55
56 Usually the sticking point in disputes I've seen tends not to be
57 whether something happened, but whether what happened was a serious
58 problem.
59
60 > But I go back to my point that a project (any project) that
61 > operates under a veil of secrecy sacrifices integrity as a result of this.
62
63 I get the general principle. If we were talking about criminal law
64 that would be one thing. However, you can't sue a court or a
65 prosecutor for slander, whether the court's decision stands the test
66 of time or not. Gentoo doesn't have that luxury; we can be sued for
67 making statements about people and then we bear the burden of proving
68 the statement is accurate, to the standards of a court. Besides the
69 difficulty of doing this, I don't think it is healthy for the
70 community. We could have people make public statements about what
71 others did, and then everybody gets ticked off that accusations were
72 made against their friend, or that an accusation made by a friend
73 wasn't taken seriously, and so on, and then it becomes a big mess,
74 dragging people in who otherwise wouldn't be involved. Ultimately
75 personal disputes turn into popularity contests, or witch hunts.
76
77 I wouldn't say that operating in confidentiality in these matters is
78 ideal, but it seems like the least worst alternative. The rest just
79 seem like a good idea until you think through what would happen if you
80 actually tried them out.
83 Rich