From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2016 23:02:35
1 On 06/11/16 21:25, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 3:47 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> I'm not entirely sure your experience bears out. I've seen exclusions in
4 >> the time I've been involved with Gentoo, and on very debatable grounds.
5 > Such as? I don't claim to be privy to ever comrel action, only those
6 > which are appealed, and there haven't been many of those. If somebody
7 > is so convinced that they won't prevail on appeal that they don't even
8 > bother, then it is hard to be sympathetic to the claim that they've
9 > done nothing wrong.
10 >
11 > Note that comrel generally doesn't publish the grounds they have for
12 > taking action. Others might do so, but Comrel does not comment as to
13 > whether the grounds being posted are in fact the whole story.
14 > Certainly the targets of comrel actions should be getting the full
15 > story, and if not they can certainly ask the Council to step in.
16 > However, I've yet to see a case where the grounds for Comrel action
17 > wasn't told to the person involved, and generally the Council weighs
18 > whether those are sufficient grounds for action.
19 >
20 > It doesn't make for great PR all the time, but it is basically what
21 > just about any other responsible organizations does in these sorts of
22 > situations. I can't remember the last time I saw somebody fired from
23 > my workplace bragging about the real reason why it was done.
24 > Inevitably it is blamed on some kind of minor disagreement. And
25 > companies generally just ignore this stuff as long as it doesn't go to
26 > court, and it rarely does, because the court isn't going to keep it
27 > private and you can't sue the court for publishing a bunch of
28 > documents accusing you of doing horrible things. You certainly can
29 > sue organizations that publish such things outside of a court, which
30 > is one of the reasons why nobody else does it, and we shouldn't
31 > either.
32 >
33 Since you've taken the opportunity to bring up the subject of ComRel, I
34 still wholeheartedly believe that whilst that project continues to work
35 under a veil of secrecy (with no disrespect to any members concerned) it
36 loses a sense of integrity. If anyone cannot see this, I continue to
37 believe they are naive or worse.
38
39 If there are cases of appeal which are brought to the council, and the
40 grounds of the action made available are not the whole story, I would
41 certainly expect the council to be made fully aware of this, even if
42 this doesn't facilitate any further disclosure.
43
44 Finally, in instances of forced retirements I have witnessed, the person
45 in question was removed from access to Bugzilla before the full claim
46 made against them was documented. And therefore they were unaware of the
47 accusations/allegations made against them with which to form an appeal
48 to the body of ComRel nor Council. This, according to the wiki pages for
49 the project, would tend to suggest that due process was not followed,
50 and hence on those grounds at least, an appeal should question whether
51 action taken was due and correct, even if it does not lead to an
52 eventual reversal. The process should be transparent enough to state
53 that a review had taken place, again, even if it does not present its
54 findings. But I go back to my point that a project (any project) that
55 operates under a veil of secrecy sacrifices integrity as a result of this.
56
57 Just my 2c! :]