From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Discontinuing the support for GitHub pull requests
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 00:04:47
1 On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 00:17:38 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The generic image would be
5 > 'we use GitHub for internal work with our proxied maintainers, external
6 > contributions go via whatever else'.
7
8 Maybe, along with the proxy-maintainers whitelist, you could provide support
9 for other maintainers/teams being added to the whitelist?
10
11 And perhaps each whitelist entry should contain a note describing how proxy-maint are supposed
12 to respond if they find a package that mentions that alias, but appears inactive.
13
14 I would consider said list to be able to enumerate things like:
15
16 "sure, my name is foo, and I'm the maintainer for this, but please ping this other person
17 and have a conversation with them on IRC about this package and not just maintain it"
18
19 Having a tag exclusively for "proxy maint aren't to touch this and this could lag for a long time"
20 might also be useful, as well as telling end users when that tag gets applied what it means.
21
22 eg: "Hi, this package is maintained by <blah> who doesn't/tends to respond slowly to github requests,
23 ... it may be worth your time to file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org instead and close this PR"
24
25 In short, we need more and better communication, not less.