From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Discontinuing the support for GitHub pull requests
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 13:06:45
1 W dniu wto, 31.10.2017 o godzinie 13∶04 +1300, użytkownik Kent Fredric
2 napisał:
3 > On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 00:17:38 +0100
4 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > The generic image would be
7 > > 'we use GitHub for internal work with our proxied maintainers, external
8 > > contributions go via whatever else'.
9 >
10 > Maybe, along with the proxy-maintainers whitelist, you could provide support
11 > for other maintainers/teams being added to the whitelist?
12
13 Feel free to provide a patch.
14
15 > And perhaps each whitelist entry should contain a note describing how proxy-maint are supposed
16 > to respond if they find a package that mentions that alias, but appears inactive.
17 >
18 > I would consider said list to be able to enumerate things like:
19 >
20 > "sure, my name is foo, and I'm the maintainer for this, but please ping this other person
21 > and have a conversation with them on IRC about this package and not just maintain it"
22 >
23 > Having a tag exclusively for "proxy maint aren't to touch this and this could lag for a long time"
24 > might also be useful, as well as telling end users when that tag gets applied what it means.
25 >
26 > eg: "Hi, this package is maintained by <blah> who doesn't/tends to respond slowly to github requests,
27 > ... it may be worth your time to file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org instead and close this PR"
28
29 I have no clue how is this even supposed to be used and by whom.
30
31 > In short, we need more and better communication, not less.
32
33 Then find people who are really interested in spending hours trying to
34 communicate with people who believe being a Gentoo package maintainer is
35 about feeling important and expecting others to come to you and beg you
36 to review a fix to your own bug.
37
38 I've spend enough time trying to communicate pull requests to different
39 developers on behalf of users, and I'm done with it. And I know I'm not
40 alone with this.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny