From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 22:59:38
1 On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 4:42 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 > Ultimately I don't think it makes sense to have "user representatives"
5 > per se because it just leads into moralistic arguments about how one
6 > person's opinion counts more than an other's because according to
7 > their job title they officially represent "the users." I think it
8 > also implies that everybody else necessarily isn't interested in "the
9 > users" and has to be reined in.
12 Every participant in council gets a vote. User Representatives get one
13 vote, and they are in a minority. On pressing issues, I would expect them
14 to potentially swing some votes, but only if they could get some level of
15 support from the other Council members.
18 > Since none of us are paid to be here, I think it is safe to say that
19 > we're here because we ARE fairly heavy users and thus have an interest
20 > in a good user experience...
23 Again, this is a moral hazard -- while developers are clearly heavy users
24 of Gentoo, they do not necessarily represent interests of non-developers.
25
26 I would think you would have no issue of having a more formal process of
27 obtaining user feedback and incorporating it into our development process.
28
29 This is also a nice counter-balance for restricting mailing lists that get
30 overrun with off-topic discussions and thus impact volunteer developer
31 productivity. It replaces this old, informal and inefficient method with
32 one that is better integrated into our internal processes.
33
34 Best,
35
36 Daniel