From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Social Contract clean-up
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 22:42:07
1 On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 6:24 PM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >> You didn't propose soliciting feedback from users. You proposed
6 >> giving non-contributing users the power to vote for members of the
7 >> board of directors.
8 >
9 > No I did not. I did not propose any changes to the current policies for
10 > membership in the Foundation.
11
12 As I quoted in that email, you proposed: Encourage Gentoo users to
13 become members of the Foundation through outreach and other
14 initiatives.
15
16 However, if you're fine with only having people with @g.o email
17 addresses be Foundation members then there is no conflict on this
18 particular point. Though, honestly, I don't get how your arguments
19 about how people don't have a voice unless they have a vote fits into
20 that.
21
22 I still object to the concept that everybody with an @g.o email
23 address can vote for Council members, who apparently will
24 automatically disregard users, and the same people can vote for
25 Trustees, who apparently will automatically prioritize users. That
26 seems a bit nonsensical, but if it were true it would be best to only
27 have one governing body in the first place.
28
29 The problem as I've pointed out elsewhere is that it is difficult to
30 find people willing to assume the liability of being on the board in
31 the current state of affairs, and it also can create challenges for
32 some who have employers who limit such memberships. If it weren't for
33 that issue I suspect we would have merged the bodies a while ago.
34
35 Ultimately I don't think it makes sense to have "user representatives"
36 per se because it just leads into moralistic arguments about how one
37 person's opinion counts more than an other's because according to
38 their job title they officially represent "the users." I think it
39 also implies that everybody else necessarily isn't interested in "the
40 users" and has to be reined in.
41
42 Since none of us are paid to be here, I think it is safe to say that
43 we're here because we ARE fairly heavy users and thus have an interest
44 in a good user experience...
47 Rich