From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP proposal: Gentoo GPG key policies
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 01:46:54
1 On Mon, 2013-11-11 at 00:01 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Gentoo LDAP:
3 > ============
4 > All developers must list the complete GPG fingerprint for their root
5 > keys in the "gpgfingerprint" LDAP field.
6 >
7 > It should be exactly 40 hex digits, uppercase, with optional spaces
8 > every 8 hex digits. Regular expression for validation: ^[[:xdigit]]{8}(
9 > ?[[:xdigit]]{8}){4}$
12 The problem I can see happening allowing the optional spaces is that
13 currently the fingerpint field is a space separated list of
14 fingerprints. In the ldap-seeds code used to generate the
15 developer.seeds file. I am splitting that field data on the spaces to
16 get a python list of individual fingerprints. There are developers that
17 have 2 fingerprints listed. If spaces are to be allowed in the
18 fingerprint then we will need to use and enforce a different separator
19 to divide the fingerprints. Currently in gentoo-keys I use the ":" as a
20 separator in the gpgkey and fingerprint fields of the seed file. A "|"
21 is used to separate the fields of the seed info.
24 > The prior "gpgkey" field will be removed, as it is a subset of the
25 > fingerprint field. In any place that presently displays the gpgkey
26 > field, the last 16 hex digits of the fingerprint should be displayed
27 > instead.
30 ++
31
32 Currently running some checks on the gpgkey and fingerprint fields,
33 there are many developers with errors. Some have 2 gpgkeys listed, but
34 only 1 fingerprint, some the gpgkey does not match the fingerprint. One
35 dev's fingerprint is only 39 chars in length. Please check if yours has
36 errors and correct them please. See below for the links.
37
38 By eliminating the gpgkey field in ldap it will reduce the chance for
39 errors and is redundant data anyway. I will later establish a policy &
40 code to test the developer.seeds file to look for errors in installing
41 the keys before it is pushed to the server for public download. I
42 already have code to install the complete set of developer seeds, but
43 need to add/tweak the code to log the errors correctly.
44
45 For the current file of the valid developer seeds:
46
47 http://dev.gentoo.org/~dolsen/developer.seeds
48
49 record entries are 1 dev per line.
50 fields are ['nick', 'name', 'keyid', 'longkeyid','keydir', 'fingerprint']
51
52 For the latest log of the seed file generation run which lists the
53 errors found:
54
55 http://dev.gentoo.org/~dolsen/gkeyldap-latest.log
58 P.S. If any python coders are interested in helping, please contact
59 me :)
60
61 > Tools:
62 > ======
63 > We have most of the key-tracking in progress in the gentoo-keys project
64 > [#GENTOOKEYS]_.
65 >
66 > This toolset should also include easy-to-use tools for developers to generate
67 > new keys [#TOOLSET]_ (using the recommendations) and update expiry dates.
68 >
69 > This tool should generate a final user-formatted keyring, to be hosted on the
70 > Gentoo API site.
71 >
72 > Backwards Compatibility:
73 > ========================
74 > There is no consistent standard for GPG usage in Gentoo to date.
75 > There is conflicting information in the Devmanual [#DEVMANUAL-MANIFEST]_
76 > and the GnuPG Gentoo user guide [#GNUPG-USER]_. As there is little
77 > enforcement of Manifest signing and very little commit signing to date,
78 > there are no backwards compatibility concerns.
79 >
80 > External documentation:
81 > =======================
82 > Much of the above was driven by the following:
83 > - NIST SP 800-57 recommendations [#NIST-SP800-57-1]_,
84 > [##NIST-SP800-57-2]_
85 > - Debian GPG documentation [#DEBIANGPG]_
86 > - RiseUp.net OpenPGP best practices [#RISEUP]_
87 >
88 > References:
89 > ===========
90 > .. [#GENTOOKEYS] Gentoo Keys project
91 > (http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/gentoo-keys.git)
92 > .. [#TOOLSET] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/83996/focus=84220
93 > .. [#NIST-SP800-57-1] NIST SP 800-57: Recommendation for Key Management: Part 1: General (Revision 3)
94 > (http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-57/sp800-57_part1_rev3_general.pdf)
95 > .. [#NIST-SP800-57-2] NIST SP 800-57: Recommendation for Key Management: Part 2: Best Practices for Key Management Organization
96 > (http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-57/SP800-57-Part2.pdf)
97 > .. [#EKAIA] Ana's blog: Creating a new GPG key
98 > (http://ekaia.org/blog/2009/05/10/creating-new-gpgkey/)
99 > .. [#DEBIANGPG] Debian GPG documentation
100 > (https://wiki.debian.org/Keysigning)
101 > .. [#RISEUP] RiseUp.net OpenPGP best practices
102 > (https://we.riseup.net/riseuplabs+paow/openpgp-best-practices)
103 > .. [#DEVMANUAL-MANIFEST] Gentoo Development Guide: Manifest
104 > (http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/manifest/index.html)
105 > .. [#GNUPG-USER] GnuPG Gentoo User Guide
106 > (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnupg-user.xml)
110 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>