From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fw: Your temporary 2 week suspension on interacting on the Gentoo Github page
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 14:17:03
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 May 2017, Dale wrote:
5 > Dale,
6 >
7 > yes we're aware we have some issues. Several of us have acknowledged
8 > that.
9 > The main issue we have is lack of man power, in general and on
10 > specific areas. Then we have developers losing motivation and getting
11 > burned up by having to deal with the same discussions time and again
12 > and by feeling they're being "bullied" by someone in the Community.
13 > Some developers are reaching a "tipping point". We need them to go
14 > out, take a breath and relax. But that doesn't excuse a behaviour of
15 > pushing individual's buttons and trying to cause as much havoc as
16 > possible.
17 >
18 > About "censorship", if our goal had been to "silence" someone or to
19 > prevent "dissent opinion", we would have banned emails and cleaned up
20 > archives a long time ago. The shear number of emails from the
21 > individual that has "cried foul" is evidence alone that he hasn't been
22 > silenced. A quick glance over the archives will easily show up
23 > divergent opinions.
24 >
25 > Finally, for all the conspiracy claims going around, there have been
26 > in the last years 2 former developers making a fuss about not being
27 > let in.
28 > As a ComRel member, that won't go into details regarding the specific
29 > cases, I can inform the community that there are valid reasons for
30 > them not to be let in and that most of their claims aren't accurate or
31 > true.
32 > If one goes around setting fires everywhere, burning all bridges and
33 > openly being hostile to everyone, it can't be a surprise if one is
34 > deemed "not wanted".
35 >
36 > Best regards,
37 > Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
38 > Gentoo Developer
42 And I understand that frustration. It frustrates me to see Gentoo go
43 through the same issues over and over again with nothing changing. As I
44 pointed out earlier this is a self fulfilling problem or a viscous
45 cycle. This that just happened with months of work not helping anyone,
46 leaving out things from ages ago about a ex-dev and his post, is a sad
47 situation for everyone. Gentoo may have lost a future dev because of
48 the problem Gentoo doesn't have time to address which leads to it going
49 on again and again. The more I think about this, the more frustrated I
50 get because it's not going to stop the cycle by doing the same things.
51
52 Rich and myself had a exchange with me asking questions and trying to
53 get to some sort of solution but I don't hold any ill will against him
54 and I certainly don't mean it in a bad way. Heck, I like a lot of
55 things Rich has done and have said as much. He's one of the devs that
56 is active on -user. To me, that is a really good thing because he is
57 helpful, very helpful at that. He doesn't have to be active on -user at
58 all. But he is. I might add, it's one reason I reply to him because
59 eventually, we work it out.
60
61 I don't care if it takes a while but I'd like to continue to work with
62 this to see if something, anything, can be done to help with this sort
63 of situation. As I pointed out to Kent, if I can do nothing but plant a
64 seed that ends up getting Gentoo to a better place, I'm fine with that.
65 If some idea I come up with helps, fine. If it just leads to something
66 that will help, that's fine too. But to act like this problem that has
67 went on for a long time is going to solve itself, obviously that isn't
68 going to work.
69
70 As to ex-devs, Gentoo needs help. Where possible, let people help. If
71 that means them not being able to do so within Gentoo but they can
72 outside of it, fine. I have to admit tho, I've never seen where posting
73 something that is honest is supposed to be a bad thing and be punished.
74 The post that got William off of Github was maybe not ideal but at least
75 it wasn't ignoring the poor guy that put in all that effort for
76 basically nothing. If I were active there and saw the post William
77 responded to, I would likely have offered pretty much the same
78 information.
79
80 Now, is anyone interested in discussing a solution or does Gentoo plan
81 to do the same thing and expect different results?
82
83 Dale
84