From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fw: Your temporary 2 week suspension on interacting on the Gentoo Github page
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 11:19:16
1 On Tue, 16 May 2017, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Rich Freeman wrote:
6
7 I'm going to reply to short snippets of your e-mail.
8
9 >> Do you think that anybody really enjoys going through all this
10 >> headache just to boot somebody? That's why most code of conduct
11 >> violations end up being ignored.
12
13 CoC issues were always meant to be dealt with warnings and short bans from
14 specific mediums. The most serious issues are covered by other policies.
15
16 >> I challenge you to actually get yourself banned around here. It
17 >> probably wouldn't even occur to you what you'd have to do to
18 >> accomplish this. Why do you think we let countless people complain
19 >> about this stuff on the lists without just suppressing it?
20
21 Rich,
22
23 I understand the frustration, but let's please not incite bad behaviour.
24
25 > According to the email that William forwarded that he got from comrel,
26
27 To clear one piece of misinformation, William didn't got any email from
28 ComRel. His ban from github wasn't issued by ComRel.
29
30 > I see a theme here. Gentoo has had a few problems for quite a while.
31 > Based on what I've read over the past few months and certainly the past
32 > few days, I don't see that changing anytime soon. 10 years from now, it
33 > will be the same.
34
35 Dale,
36
37 yes we're aware we have some issues. Several of us have acknowledged that.
38 The main issue we have is lack of man power, in general and on specific
39 areas. Then we have developers losing motivation and getting burned up by
40 having to deal with the same discussions time and again and by feeling
41 they're being "bullied" by someone in the Community.
42 Some developers are reaching a "tipping point". We need them to go out,
43 take a breath and relax. But that doesn't excuse a behaviour of pushing
44 individual's buttons and trying to cause as much havoc as possible.
45
46 About "censorship", if our goal had been to "silence" someone or to
47 prevent "dissent opinion", we would have banned emails and cleaned up
48 archives a long time ago. The shear number of emails from the individual
49 that has "cried foul" is evidence alone that he hasn't been silenced. A
50 quick glance over the archives will easily show up divergent opinions.
51
52 Finally, for all the conspiracy claims going around, there have been in
53 the last years 2 former developers making a fuss about not being let in.
54 As a ComRel member, that won't go into details regarding the specific
55 cases, I can inform the community that there are valid reasons for them
56 not to be let in and that most of their claims aren't accurate or true.
57 If one goes around setting fires everywhere, burning all bridges and
58 openly being hostile to everyone, it can't be a surprise if one is deemed
59 "not wanted".
60
61 Best regards,
62 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto