From: "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Corporate affiliations of Council members
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 20:50:44
1 Am Dienstag, 23. Juni 2020, 20:48:04 EEST schrieb Patrick Lauer:
2
3 > (And this is why I'm against things like the current py2 purge: There is
4 > code out there that works, can't be rewritten to py3 in a reasonable
5 > time*, and hasn't been rewritten in another language yet. There is no
6
7 > tl;dr: I want to be lazy, so stop breaking stuff ;)
8
9 You gotta be kidding me.
10
11 If your employer wants to work on obsolete (yes) stuff, he should task you
12 with maintaining it.
13
14 In the context of a distribution that does *not* only mean "keep things until
15 they are so rotten you can't distinguish them from the floor anymore", but it
16 also means fixing bugs and keeping the dependency tree in a sane state.
17
18 So, in this case I would strongly recommend to the higher-ups of A***** to pay
19 you (or anyone else) to commit to keeping
20 * not just what *you* need in Python2 maintained and working, but
21 * to maintain the whole python-related package tree in a consistent state
22 then.
23 Not just complaining that others don't volunteer the work.
24
25 (This argument applies equally to other cases, like S***.)
28 Andreas K. Hüttel
29 dilfridge@g.o
30 Gentoo Linux developer
31 (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)